Sunday, January 6, 2019

"Good Fortune" revealed

I've been keeping up with the weekly (and in one case semi-weekly) clues for Bonnie Hunter's current mystery quilt, but now that she has issued the reveal, I find I have loads of sewing to do.  Some people have finished their tops already even though the reveal "clue" came out on Friday.  They've even sent their tops out for longarming.  Do they not sleep? eat? have families? 

I am still slogging through the spinning star blocks although I have made one of the other blocks just to see how they'll look together.   Because I haven't had a lot of luck choosing colors for mystery quilts in the past, I decided to go with Hunter's suggestion which commemorates her trip to China earlier this year. 

My first problem was that I found I had cut my green fabric 1/2" too short, so I had to make a pile more chevron pieces.  I stopped now and then to put a few blocks together, and I didn't make "bonus" half-square triangles this time around.  I have plenty of those from the unusable chevrons.  I got a few blocks made and noticed I had put some of the segments together incorrectly - can you spot the mistakes on the top left block?  Here is the way the blocks should look.


I have just 10 more long seams to finish this set of star blocks.  Then I may start on the orange and red blocks.  But I've been neglecting my Splendid Sampler for the last few days, so I will probably take a little break and make a few blocks for that before returning to Good Fortune.  I did make one Splendid Sampler block out of bits and pieces of the green and neutral chevrons, and I'll probably make one out of the red and neutral squares, too.  That will be a good reminder of what I did in January, 2019.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you did have one problem after another didn't you. I had to pick out a few and then got into a rhythm of it I guess and it is going ok now