Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year!

While the sun shone yesterday, Paul and I managed to get two short walks in.  We go just a little farther every time, and he is doing quite well, recuperating from heart surgery.  He tires easily, but has always been good about resting - even when healthy!  He can now take a shower without me being right in the room with him, and he can put his own socks on, too.  We celebrate progress by small steps.

For New Year's Eve, I made a heart healthy stir fry for dinner and used some peaches I froze last summer in delicious tart for dessert.  We watched a movie, Life Itself, which didn't get great reviews but was very sweet.  Since I have gotten hooked on This Is Us, it filled a void until that TV show starts up again.

I've been sewing up a storm over the last week or two since Paul's been home from the hospital.  I finished Clue #6 of the Bonnie Hunter mystery over the weekend, and I've been working on swap blocks for the local guild swap over the last few days.  We need to make 30 12"(finished size) blocks, and before Christmas I already made 15 scrappy stars.  Now I'm working on "Dutchman's Puzzle" blocks.  We are to use brights with a white background and don't have to use all the same fabrics in each block.  So while I've been cutting my scraps, I've been going through the stash, eliminating what I don't think I'll ever use.  I also weeded my quilt books and will take them and my stash rejects to the next guild meeting for the free table.

Sunday, I took a little trip to Joann Fabrics for more white for the swap blocks, and I also bought some yarn for another scarf.  I have been knitting one or two a winter and giving them to the Salvation Army because I have a couple of scarves I really like, including a hand-woven one from Pauline.   But I do like to do a little mindless knitting - garter and/or stockinette stitch - while watching TV now and then.

Yikes!  I see Bonnie Hunter has issued Clue #7!  I thought I had a few days grace to work on other things, so I guess I will finish the Dutchmen's Puzzle blocks before embarking on #7.  I only hope she doesn't issue #8 this Friday.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

every Monday is the link up on Bonnie's site to show what you have for the mystery quilt and every Friday is new clues so yes Friday will be #8 - get moving!! :) I thought Paul's surgery was a simple thing but it sounds like it was more serious and taking awhile to recovery hope he is back to normal soon.
I think that is why I am back to crochet I like just something soothing where I don't need to be threading needles or pinning or anything and crochet can be soothing. If I really get into it I will be passing items on to others too