Sunday, March 29, 2020

Works in progress

The sashiko piece I've been working on while watching TV in the afternoons is finished.  It will be the center of a medallion quilt I'll start in May as part of a virtual round robin.  I thought the markings I followed in stitching would wash out.  That's what the sales lady told me when she spoke at our quilt guild meeting earlier this year.  But they didn't, and the website says they are permanent.  They don't show up unless you look closely.  

I really enjoyed doing this project, but if I do more, I'll use a stencil and washable ink to mark them.  Sashiko is really very easy to do, and relaxing, too, while watching TV.

I'm going to make the rounds in blue and white, but have run out of white.  So I had to do a little online shopping.  I usually go to etsy first when shopping for fabric online.  I did buy some from Amazon, too, but I don't feel bad about that since my brother's companies does deliveries for them in the New York City area.

Two days ago, I started making another scrap quilt using pinks and blacks.  Both boxes were bursting, so it was time to sort through them.  I like the combination.  I don't remember where I saw the pattern - either Moda Bake Shop or Fat Quarter Shop - but it made 18" blocks using 2 1/2" strips and squares.  I decided to use 2" pieces, so my blocks end up at 13.5" finished.  Paul called it "Good and Plenty," one of my favorite candies.

I have had the background fabric since the summer, and unfortunately, I will run out if I make more than six blocks.  I sent a message to the local quilt shop owner to see if she has any left that I can pick up.  She's closed, of course, but has been offering curbside service, bless her.  If she doesn't have any, I'll make a table topper and a pillow.

Hope you are all doing well.  This is our second week without any outside activity except two trips to the grocery store, and it isn't too bad.  We catch up with family and friends on the phone and through email, and we have been out walking quite a bit.  We cross the street when we see neighbors out and just holler across.  Two neighbors have the virus - Mr. is in the hospital while Mrs. is home being cared for by a daughter.  So everyone is taking social distancing seriously.  Take care!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope your neighbors get well. it is a hard time for all of us for sure. nice quilt blocks.

maggie fellow said...

really cool new block - stay well