Sunday, April 5, 2020

Keeping busy

Several people have mentioned that they have lost track of what day it is, and I sure am.  I think we are beginning our fourth week of social distancing, which is a long time to be mostly at home.  Paul and I get out to walk a few times in the mornings when the neighborhood isn't as busy with walkers.  The dogs we've seen walking by in the afternoons have been awfully cute.  They'll be sorry when their owners return to work.
The last couple of days I have been going through two more boxes of mementos and photos.  There was an old album, the kind with the sticky sheets covered in plastic. During my time volunteering at the historical society I learned that these albums aren't really good for photos.  One of my jobs was to try to pry the photos out.  Luckily, mine were falling out.

Paul showed me how to scan and crop the scanned photos yesterday so that I could send some to my sister Jacqueline in the Netherlands.  She was very pleased to get them, including this one of a house we lived in on Borneo when I was a baby.  Another photo has, in Pa's handwriting, notes of what rooms were where.

And there were some cute baby photos, too.  Here's one of my grandfather (Opa), Pa, and me; by this time we were in the Netherlands.  Don't the men look dapper?  These photos traveled many a mile over the years - from Indonesia, to the Netherlands, then Delaware, Maryland, Wisconsin, New York, and Vermont.  

I also found photos of my Dutch cousins, school pictures of my brothers and little sister, and even one of me as a bridesmaid in a wedding.  I just ordered another photo organizing box, but with Amazon's backlog lately, I won't receive it until late this month.  For now they are in a shoebox.  It sure has been fun to look at them.  What will I uncover today as I continue hoeing out the basement closet?

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I didn't realize you had lived in Indonesia also - how interesting do you remember your time there or where you a baby?
I am keeping busy too but long for the days when I can hop in the car and go where I want when I want