Thursday, April 30, 2020

Virtual Round Robin

This is the first round of the Virtual round robin I've organized for an online swap group.  Last month, I generated a list of possibilities and numbered each one.  Then over the weekend, I had an online random number generator pick a number.  That choice - log cabin - became our assignment for the month of May.  Toward the end of May, I'll have the RNG pick another one for our little group to work on at our homes.  My hope is that we'll share photos of progress along the way.   

I don't want my quilt to get too big too soon, so I decided to make a 3" or so log cabin set of borders.  The Border Workbook by Janet Kime (now out of print, I think) offered this possibility, which I have wanted to try for a long time.  I had no idea it would be so complicated to fit around the 12"square.   These paper pieced blocks end up at 3.5" finished, not the 3" I was hoping for.   I expected to make coping strips, but I tend to have trouble with the math.   I measured many times and cut only once, and got it right.  :-)   And because they have that spiral, I rearranged the corner blocks many, many times before settling on this setting.  

I know I will put some coping strips around before adding the next round because it is now 22" x 22" which isn't divisible by the common block sizes of 3", 4", etc.  I do like the blue and white, though, and hope for a very interesting quilt when finished... sometime in the fall, perhaps.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great!! I love the border when I used it - it is a good book