Saturday, April 25, 2020

Rethinking commitments

This is the last day of six weeks of staying home.  Six weeks ago, March 14, I attended a state quilt guild board meeting and we had dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants.   Staying home has become the "new normal."  We had already been in the groove of staying home because neither of us is wild about driving in winter weather.

Paul has his historical research and writing, and I have my quilting.  Both of us read a lot.   With the weather improving, we have been walking around the neighborhood as often as we can.  Our yoga instructor now holds a weekly class via Zoom, so our living room has changed into a studio.  I've been trying low-fat recipes and baking more bread.  Because they're now home during the week, I've been calling  Mom in Colorado and brother Axel in Wisconsin at least once a week, sometimes more.  And I'm tackling a few closets that should have been weeded long ago.  The trash haulers are remarking that the volume of trash has increased greatly during these six weeks.

When will life as we used to know it return?  Will it?  No one knows, but I do know that I haven't minded this new normal, even though I miss occasionally getting together with friends; going out to dinner, plays, and concerts; or traveling.  What I don't miss is the meetings I used to go to.  I am beginning to think about what I should add back into my life and what I can do without.  No easy answers, but it's good to take stock.  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it probably takes something like this to decide what you really want in your life. One quilter I am in touch with does workshops and travel and she is not missing it and says she just might change how she does that and cut way back - she has been enjoying home instead.
One thing I haven't missed since I dropped out of the guild some years back was the meetings - I didn't miss them in the least.