Thursday, April 23, 2020

Guild challenge

This year one of the guilds I belong to had a challenge - to "modernize" a traditional quilt block.  Each person was assigned a particular block, and mine ended up being a favorite, Ohio Star.  We had had a program on the "modern quilt movement" at a guild meeting, and I came away more confused than I was going in to the program.  The ladies said there were "no rules," but then they proceeded to list rules.  At a quilt show a couple of years ago, there were quite a few modern quilts, and it seemed to me that many were oversized, stripped down, not as cluttered, using solids and lots of open space.  The quilting on many of them was minimal.

The reveal for this project was to have been this past Tuesday, but since we didn't meet, we have been posting photos on Facebook.  Here is my Modern Ohio Star.

The medium gray is a solid, and the background is a textured navy, Quilters' Linen by Robert Kaufman.  The blocks are 3" which was fun.  

After I finished the top, I saw a Quilting Arts program on TV which showed a very strippy scrap quilt.  I decided to make another Ohio Star with just one block in a similar style.   This became the back, but the wallhanging is reversible.

I quilted this very simply with horizontal lines spaced about 1/2" apart.  That's hard to do well - you really have to concentrate to keep going straight.  It was a fun challenge, and I'm enjoying seeing everyone else's creations.  I do miss going to my guild meetings monthly!  


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate when it says no rules then list rules!!!