Thursday, December 17, 2020

Progressing

Good Monday morning!  It was a fairly productive, yet relaxing weekend here.  Hope yours was, too.  Chris came Saturday to help me put up our Christmas village/"tree."  This picture is from last year, but it looks about the same except for the addition of a few more houses and a little red covered bridge bought on Ebay after last Christmas.

I added a red bow and a stuffed Santa from Chris' preschool days on top.  The 1950s creepy Santa is on a window sill this year.  A few other decorations make the house feel very festive and cozy.

As we were putting things out, three packages from Mom and Jenny arrived, so I opened those and put them under the tree.  My one regret about this new "tree" is that I'm not using the skirt I made out of swap blocks a few years ago.   It has a hole for the tree stand in the middle and doesn't look right under the village.  

Yesterday I made some squash bread (using Linda's late mother's recipe for pumpkin bread).  It turned out great, and as luck would have it, Chris appeared as it was cooling.  I gave him and his buddy little loaves to take home as "payment" for taking our cans and bottles to the redemption center.

I sat down a few times during the day to read Mrs. Lincoln's Sisters, by Jennifer Chiaverini.  It is sort of a parallel sequel to Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker that she wrote a few years ago.  I loved that story of Elizabeth Keckley.  This novel is told from the points of view of four of Mrs. Lincoln's sisters and is interesting but not her best novel.   I am definitely looking forward to Chiaverini's new (unrelated) pattern book which is coming out on Christmas day.

Headway was made on the Grassy Creek Mystery, too, and I have just a few more sets to make today.  I keep each week's clue sets in baggies in a shoebox.   I like the pace of this year's mystery - as Bonnie said, it's a "normal" pace, not too fast, not too slow.  This gives me time to get started binding my blue and white virtual round robin quilt.   I'll have to hunt around for some navy blue thread to hand quilt the sashiko center of that quilt.  I think I'll enjoy doing that quilting this coming week as it's supposed to be a lot colder and snowier.  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am saving the instructions to Bonnies quilt maybe will make it later next year? have to many in progress or about to start. I like you shelving tree do you use it for folded quilts in the rest of the year?