Thursday, December 31, 2020

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

 I took a little break between clues of the Grassy Creek mystery quilt to make a few blocks toward my Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2021.  I decided to continue making Jenny Doan's Pop Stars blocks using various gray backgrounds and also to make some 6" pineapple blocks.  I don't plan to use these two sets of blocks together in a quilt.  I'll see how it all goes - you never know!

Pop Stars is a very easy variation on a saw-toothed star, with points that float.  The January RSC color is pink, so I dug deep into my pink box for these odd fabrics.  The one on the left is about the last remnant of my aunt's stash that I inherited after she passed away around 2003.  There were several UFOs and a lot of scraps.  I finished all the UFOs, made other quilts out of most of the scraps and gave many of them to my cousins.  I do love using a few of Tante Wil's scraps in my own quilts, though, as it keeps her memory close to me.  She seemed to love pink and brown.

Then I decided to make a scrappy little pineapple quilt as part of RSC also.  The Nov./Dec. colors were gray and black, but I used a variety of odd strings to make four 6" blocks, and then I also made a couple of pink ones for January.  I figure if I make at least four of these a month, I will have enough for a small quilt by the end of the year.   

I think the only sensible way to make a pineapple quilt is by paper piecing, so I bought some books of printed papers from the Fat Quarter Shop and figure I can remove the papers while watching TV.  Doing a few every month will get them done without too much moaning and groaning on my part.  Paper piecing isn't my favorite technique, but it is handy in the quilter's "toolkit."  I'll make two more pink blocks tomorrow because another mystery clue will arrive on Friday.  I like the pace of this year's mystery which is giving me time to work on a few other projects in between.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just finished my blocks for my 12 inch blocks of blue/cream - you are right it is easy to paper piece them, not my favorite method but you do get square blocks