Sunday, February 13, 2022

Forgotten UFOs

Last weekend, I was poking around in my pizza box marked "Orphans" when I found a half-finished log cabin quilt top.  I had made the blocks using "strings" and only needed 12 more to make a baby-sized quilt.  I hauled out the overflowing string basket and got to work.  I divide my string collection into neutrals and colors, so log cabin blocks are easy to make.  

Somewhere along the line I realized I had measured the initial blocks wrong.  The original blocks were 5" finished, but I was on my way to finishing 12 6" log cabin blocks.  Ugh.  I put those blocks into the Orphan box and made 12 more in the right size.  The little quilt now measured 32.5", still a little too small.  How about a border?  I dug into my miscellaneous and leftover half-square triangle box for a variety of squares, cut those to 2.5", and sewed them on.  


Now the little quilt measures 36.5" and was ready to quilt.  With a nice, soft piece of unbleached muslin for the back and after a run to Joann's for batting, I started quilting what I'm calling Omicron Cabin, having made a similar Corona Cabin (at left) quilt in 2020.  Remember 2020, when we thought we were just isolating for a little while?  Let's hope there won't be a time when I'm making Rho or Sigma Cabin.

Today I'll add the scrappy binding and take a picture.  It's pretty cold out, after several warmer days, so I plan to be indoors sewing.  Not a problem for me - I have plenty to keep me busy.

No comments: