Friday, February 24, 2023

A couple more blocks

 I sewed most of the day yesterday and didn't even pick up a book.  In between sewing sessions, Paul and I planned a mini-vacation for March.  We got theater tickets to the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, VA, and planned to check out Asheville, NC after that.  We hope to visit my cousins in Lancaster, PA, on the way back north.  All in a little over a week!  We like to keep things a bit unstructured for these end-of-winter jaunts so we can follow spring (if it's happening down there at all).

Today, while doing some laundry, I've just reconciled my check book and am looking forward to lunch out with Pam.  I want to cut the binding for the pineapple quilt.  

Here are two more blocks I made yesterday.  My online group has a sew-along going, and the first block. chosen by Linda, is for February.  The second is my suggestion for March, ribbon quilt block from Quilter's Cache.  I'm planning to combine these with my guild blocks of the month for a larger quilt.   

The guild blocks all have a white background and a prescribed color.  Last month was purple and this month blue.   Tuesday night I was the lucky winner of the block lottery for February, winning scads of purple 12" star blocks!  That's a UFO I am happy to have.

I like the ribbon quilt block (I think of it as "ribbon star" but that's not what Quilter's Cache calls it).  It's comprised of eight half-square triangles and a plain center square.   Some years ago, I made an autograph quilt for our dear librarian, Karen.  All the staff, Friends, and trustees signed the center squares, and I used mostly scraps from my Asian Jane quilt in recognition of the Chinese banquets she and her husband Chet used to put on as a fund raiser for the Friends.  Chet has since passed away and Karen is happily retired, but the memory of those winter banquets lives on in our town.



No comments: