Monday, February 13, 2023

Hanging sleeves

We picked up my newly cleaned machine Tuesday, and I've been sewing quite a bit ever since.  It is now back to sewing smoothly and evenly, thank goodness.  Made a bunch of Hunter's Star blocks, mostly yellow/orange, and four 6" pineapple blocks in pink (the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month).  I put them away before taking photos (sorry!) and got started on some more Dear Jane blocks yesterday.  

In between, I started hand sewing hanging sleeves onto quilts that will be in the Vermont Quilt Festival in June.  This quilt was made by Jeanne Hutchinson in 1984 to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the Green Mountain Quilters Guild.

I wanted to take extra care with this treasure as it is all hand-done - embroidery, applique, quilting.   It is passed along from president to president of the guild and is hung at our semi-annual meetings.

The names of two of the guild founders are quilted in.  Mary, the daughter of one of these ladies, both deceased, came to our sewing meeting Saturday.  She was pleased to see her mother's name there and showed us a Storm at Sea quilt her mother had left blocks for.  Mary has finished it and will start hand quilting it soon.  She also had a batch of orphan blocks that she wants to incorporate in other, future quilts.  We were glad to give our suggestions and look forward to seeing those quilts develop.  

When I finished with the hanging sleeve for this quilt, I started sewing one for the 2019-20 GMQG Logo Challenge that I'm entering in the show.  The sleeves need to be at least 4" wide, and while both quilts have sleeves, I have lightly appliqued new muslin sleeves over top.  I didn't finish hand sewing this sleeve at the meeting so will peck away at it this week.  

Today I plan to go to Joann Fabrics for two more yards of muslin so I can add a sleeve to my Full Duty Civil War sampler quilt for the show.  I'll post pictures of a few more Dear Jane blocks later today or tomorrow.

No comments: