Thursday, February 2, 2023

February hearts

It's February 2, Groundhog Day, but I forgot to check to see if he saw his shadow.  No problem.  In Vermont we are hoping for six more weeks of winter as that would be shorter than normal!   Our beloved yoga instructor reminded us that we were astronomically in the middle of winter yesterday.  Hooray!   She noted that some folks use this time to clean closets and do other spring cleaning chores.  Funny - I just put together a box for the Re-Store and a bag for the Salvation Army.  I'll deliver them manana, but meanwhile I'll be driving around with them.  

Today I'm doing a little hand applique, working on Aby's row of the month.  The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month is, coincidentally or not, pink, so I'm making my row of hearts using pink scraps.

I'm using a bunch of hearts cut out of freezer paper from past projects.  Usually, I baste the seams over the freezer paper before sewing, but this time I just ironed them as, at 6", they are pretty easy to iron.  I will have a couple of blocks with smaller hearts, and those I will probably baste using quilting thread.    January's blocks were very easy to do, and because I made six 8" blocks then, this month I'm making 8 6" ones.  I'm not sewing the blocks into rows yet as I'm not sure I'll use them as a row by row quilt or some other way.  I have months to decide.  Aby has offered a few different layouts for the blocks, depending on the final size.

Below zero weather with terrible wind chill are predicted for tomorrow and Saturday, so hand applique seems like a cozy way to beat the cold.  I have a couple of really appealing mysteries loaded onto my Kindle, too, so staying indoors under a quilt should be just fine.   

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I heard 6 more weeks in the north - but the Georgia groundhog said no to that and saw sun. Are you going to get the -50 windchill that I heard some of you in the NE will get? Hope not - stay warm