Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Jane Austen at Home


This morning, I finished binding the second of two quilts I made using Jane Austen at Home fabric by Riley Blake.  I started out with a layer cake and a couple of fat quarters.  Along the way I made at least three orders for yardage and fat quarters from "The Cute Little Fabric Shop" in Utah which I found on etsy.  I also added some scraps here and there.

The pattern was from Quiltmaker magazine and was a mystery quilt using blocks from Bonnie Hunter's "Addicted to Scraps" column.  I should have known better.  First of all, her tiny pieces don't always look good with small prints.  Second of all, those tiny pieces! And repetitive to boot!   It was supposed to be a queen-sized quilt, but I could see that the result would be far too busy at that size.  In fact, the twin size at left is pretty busy.  I took it to a friend who quilted it on her long arm.

I ended up making a smaller quilt with the leftovers which I spread out a bit with some sashing.  I do like the way the four basket blocks come together in the middle.  This quilt is baby/toddler sized, at  48" x 48, " so I quilted with my walking foot.  In fact, I was in the middle of doing so when my Elna decided it needed cleaning and other general maintenance.  

I was happy when my son and his friend stopped by this afternoon so that I could take pictures by standing in the snow.  (I now see that the top picture is upside down...)  

Our snow is melting which is very nice.  It's very possible that the maple sap is running these days - we need cold nights and warm days for that, and it sure has been that way recently.  It's unusual for February to be this warm, but we'll take it.

No comments: