Saturday, February 4, 2023

Brrr!

At 11:30 this morning, my phone read -5 degrees, Alexa said it was -7, and the thermometer in the kitchen read -14.  Take your pick!  It is a very cold day, but sunny which is nice.  Even our neighbors who have Alaskan Eskimo dogs (white and medium-sized) put coats and booties on their dogs which they rarely do.

I have been inside sewing, of course, and baking bread yesterday and today.  The hearts turned out really nice and have been set aside with the January row by row blocks.


Think I'll do some reading this afternoon as I babysit the final rise and baking of the bread.  It's a great recipe - Antique White.  Here's the recipe for the bread machine:

Put in machine in this order (some machines require a different order):
  1 c. warm water
  3 T. unsalted butter (room temp.)
  3 T. honey or maple syrup
  1 t. salt
  3 c. bread flour
  1.5 t. yeast
Set machine on dough setting.  As the machine is mixing and kneading, keep an eye on it and make sure it forms a smooth ball.  If it is too sticky, add a little more flour.  If it's too chunky, add a little more water.  I tend to babysit my bread machine at this stage.

When the machine is finished, remove dough from pan, shape, and put into a greased bread pan.  Cover lightly and let rise for about 40-45 min. or until doubled.   Sometimes, when it is cold in the kitchen, I preheat the oven for one minute and then turn it off.  I allow the bread to rise in the warmish oven for half an hour before removing it to preheat the oven.  Sometimes I slide the bread into the oven before it has come to the full 350 degrees and it rises a little more. 
 
**The dough is soft and makes great rolls that freeze well.**

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about half an hour.  Let cool before slicing.  Makes great toast!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm wondering why you do not bake the bread in the machine?
That is cold out there for sure hope it doesn't last long