Friday, October 16, 2020

2020: Endless Worry and Chaos

 The Green Mountain Quilter, newsletter of our state quilt guild, is planning to print a couple more issues this year since we haven't been able to hold a meeting.  I contributed the following to the upcoming newsletter and thought I'd share it with you.  

        This has been a weird year.  Almost everyone I know is looking forward to 2021.  Society around the globe is in turmoil.  Many of us have experienced illness, anxiety, and even fear in our lives and those of our loved ones.  Calls, emails, and Zoom aren’t great substitutes for our usual closeness.   We are exhorted to believe “we’re all in this together,” but we can’t be together.

            Looking for ways to cope (besides quilting more than usual and cleaning closets), I’ve read a bit about the angst we are experiencing.  One of the best and most succinct things I’ve seen has been by author Marie Bostwick.   She recently posted 9 Things To Do To Stop Worrying on her blog (https://mariebostwick.com/9-things-to-do-to-stop-worrying/), and it is solid advice:

      1.      Unplug – the news, social media, etc.  As Marie says, “how many of us really need news 24 hours a day?”

2.      Phone a friend – maintain connections with those who can give you good advice and help you stop worrying.  My wacky brother helps, as do regular emails from my dear friend Cindy in California.

3.     Take a walk – fresh air and sunshine will do your body good so you can calm your mind.  And maybe you’ll be able to sleep better and recharge.  Paul and I try to take a couple of walks a day, around the neighborhood.

4.     Say a prayer – I’m not religious, but I look for the things I’m grateful for, with living in Vermont being close to the top.

5.     Read a book – escape to another world or time, read about someone else’s troubles and how s/he resolved them.  Marie's books are good for this.

6.     Have a laugh – watch a funny movie or TV show.  Our neighbors got together this summer for an outdoor Marx Brothers film which was so-so, but we really enjoyed social distancing… with BYO wine and snacks!

7.     Get a hobby – maybe quilting is enough for you, but if not, you could knit, try a new recipe, work on genealogy, write your memoirs, etc.  My bread machine has gotten a real workout in the last few months.

8.     Bust a move – Marie turns on the music and dances.  I do yoga instead.

9.     Make a list – when all else fails, Marie suggests writing an action plan to deal with the things you’re worrying about.  I haven't done this, but I do keep a list of UFOs and finished projects which makes me feel good.

             Wishing you all the best as this “annus horribilis,” as Queen Elizabeth called the year Princess Diana died, comes to an end! 



1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

all good suggestions - I was talking with my siblings just last week about some of these things as some were really complaining of being bored. Sadly most of my sibs are not into crafting and mainly watch tv or read - I suggested taking a walk every day and keeping in touch - I wish they did more than watch tv, you have to stay active I think -- another for your list is aps for mind games - word search, crossword puzzles, card games on computer - anything to keep your mind active - one of my sisters and I have a constant word with friends game going with the chat on the side bar we talk daily and have an on going game.