Monday, October 5, 2020

The squash that ate Barre

 Kabocha squash.  It looks a bit like buttercup but doesn't have the "turban" part.   It's also called Japanese pumpkin and is supposed to be very healthy.   Its size reminds me of the old song, The Eggplant that Ate Chicago.

Chris brought me one last year from his boss, and this year his boss harvested enough to fill a bucket loader.  Saturday, I was gifted with four of them.  After giving two away, I decided to work on one and leave the other in the garage for a while.  The result was a full Dutch oven of mashed squash, created by roasting first, then peeling and chopping, and finally boiling a while before mashing.  It felt like a full day's work!

Today I made some ginger squash soup to go along with bread baked in a wood-fired oven from the Rise Up Bakery.  It's delicious, and I'm sure I'll make more over the next few weeks.  I thought I'd try making a bread like pumpkin bread later this week, and Chris' boss recommends making a squash pie like pumpkin.  We'll see.   But we are definitely having squash with our Thanksgiving dinner this year.

It was a lovely fall day and perfect weather for putting flower beds to bed, doing a little reorganization of the garage, and taking the air conditioner out of the sewing room window.  Temperatures are in the 30s at night now, and leaves and pine needles are falling.   It's a beautiful time of year, but, as Vermonters say, "you know what's coming next!"

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

squash pie should turn out - I have made sweet potato pie and it taste very like the pumpkin I bet the squash does too. I have not heard of that variety