Friday, October 2, 2020

Lots going on, but no pictures

Early this week, I finished the October border on my Virtual Round Robin, a blue and white quilt that has now grown to about 72" x 72".  I have added 8" scrappy Jewel Box blocks all the way around to get to that size.  Then I cut out two plain borders and because they will be my last, I fully intended to take a picture before sewing them on.   But life's many choices got in the way.  I folded the top up and put it in the closet while I worked on a Christmas gift for a friend (no photos just in case she reads this) and some Halloween masks for my brother Axel.  He works parttime as a school bus monitor for kids K through 5th grade in Wisconsin.  I think these will be fun for him to wear in the next few weeks.   He is very popular with the kids and the bus company, and he loves his retirement job even though his health is not the best.  Guess I'll make him some Christmas masks, too.

I also wove in about 1,000 loose threads on the brown sweater I've been knitting for months and attached the sleeves.  It actually fits!  Paul said it looks professional, but I know where all the booboos are (and I'm not telling).  The knit in pockets were a bit bulgy, so I used a blanket stitch to get them to lie a little flatter.   I decided to put a zipper down the front rather than buttons, so now I have to wait for it to arrive.  Will post a photo after it's all done.  I started a little scarf because I wanted to try the Mosaic stitch using two contrasting skeins of yarn.  After that I'll knit Paul a hat and will try to stick to smaller projects in the future.  That sweater took eight months!

With the turn of the calendar, I used the random number generator online to determine the winner of the guild block lottery and mailed my block to lucky Cathy.  Then I posted October's block, maple leaf, and came up with November's block.  I'm making four blocks each month, one for the guild lottery, and three to add to the Dear Jen quilt I plan to work on in 2021.

Today I'll turn my attention to the "Sisters block of the month," Old Maid's Puzzle in 12" and 6" sizes.  Just two more months to go and this quilt along will be ready to put together.  I'm enjoying using all my blue scraps for it - and I just seem to accumulate more all the time.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I would think working on a school bus in your retirement years and bad health would not be a good idea for your brother in WI their case numbers are rising like crazy - best of luck to him.