Friday, March 5, 2021

Blocks of the month

 I seem to have taken on a few blocks of the month this year, and by the end of the year, I should have a few very nice quilts to put together.  

First up this month are three 8" blocks for the "Options" BOM by Aby Dolinger.  They always look more complicated than they really are, and I'm enjoying making them in black, white, and red.  I was thinking about using a different bright each month, but so far, I am liking the red best.

Next I worked on my blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I'm actually making blocks for two quilts each month.  The first has 8.5" (finished size) "Pop Stars" blocks from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.  I like the way the points of the stars float, and it's an incredibly easy block to make.  I'm making two 8.5" blocks and then at least one small block using parts I've cut off while making the stars.

The other blocks are 6" pineapple blocks that I'm paper piecing.  This month's color is green, and I made five blocks, one of which is a mistake.  I got the dark/lights in the wrong spots.  Who knows if it will end up in the finished quilt.  Since the blocks are only 6", at four per month, it may take me two years to have enough for a quilt.  But I figured this is the only way I will ever make a whole quilt in this pattern.  

I love using the preprinted papers from the Fat Quarter Shop for these blocks, but I noticed they are a scant 6.5".  So when I trim them down, I cut them at a true 6.5".  I'll take the papers out tonight while watching TV.

Tomorrow is pick up day for the Friends of the Library's recent online auction, so I will probably collapse when I get home after that.   Hoping for good weather so our curbside service won't be too cold.  

Having gotten these blocks done, I can start piecing the back of my purple Anything Goes quilt over the weekend.  I'd like to start quilting it next week.  Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lot of nice blocks and maybe by the end of the year you will have some finished tops!