Saturday, March 20, 2021

Online shopping

 I have always loved shopping.  I blame my mother who loved it, too.  As a child, we would often go to a shopping center (we didn't have malls in those days!), just to look around, especially at jewelry stores.  We would sample perfumes, check out the latest styles, look at fine art, and have lunch or a pastry.  Georgetown in Washington, DC, was a special treat.  When Mom and I returned from two weeks in the Netherlands in 2006, she was 85 years old and still didn't tire of shopping.   While I sat, exhausted, waiting to board our plane home, Mom was still looking around the airport gift shops.  Each of us had at least one tote bag full of food - cookies, candies, spices, and more that we can't find in the U.S.

So it comes as no surprise that the pandemic has led me to do a lot of shopping, but most of it has been online.  It goes without saying that fabric is needed, so I have ordered quite a bit from Green Fairy, the Fat Quarter Shop, Hancock's, the Missouri Quilt Co., and more.  My local quilt shop has been open since May or June, and I haven't neglected them, either.  To be fair, I have been quilting a lot over the last year when we've mostly not left our house.

Meanwhile, several pairs of shoes have come into the house even though I rarely go anywhere and when I do, I use the Easy Spirit slipons I got for our Dutch cruise in 2019.  They've seen quite a few miles while the new shoes, hardly any.  Guess I'm an eternal optimist.  Someday we'll go out to dinner or a play.  Other items have arrived, too:  an extension duster to reach high places, Swedish dish cloths, Elderberry gummies, lotions and potions, yarn, and lots of books for my Kindle.  All useful.  My latest is a "revolution" in mopping, The Marvel Mop.  Can't wait to try it out.  Will it work better than my Swiffer with an old washcloth over it?  I got a $5 discount, free shipping, and half off.   Who could resist?

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have done a lot of on line shopping to - but I'm not much of a shopper at the stores in person - I used to like to wander around looking at things but kind of grew out of it but I do enjoy it while we travel - I guess it is just the local stores I do not care for or enjoy! too familiar perhaps?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

p.s. how do you like the elderberry gummies? do you think they do you any good? I had a sample of them and they were ok but had not bought them