Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Steadily quilting

The weather has turned spring-like, and snow is melting like crazy.  Nights are still under freezing which is good for the maple sugarmakers.  I hope it's a good year for them.  We got a gallon of maple syrup that March at the library banquet/auction, and I canned it (two batches of pints).  I have used it in cooking all year.   But now that gallon is almost done.  

This is the most maple syrup I've ever used in cooking except for when we were innkeepers and served it at breakfast.  We don't eat a lot of pancakes and such, but it has sweetened a lot of bread, desserts and marinades.  No problem, though.  I have another gallon waiting in the wings!  Paul wrote several articles for the Vermont Almanac, and they paid him in syrup.  I think he'd rather have cash, but I'm just as happy.  This will hold us until next year, I hope.

Today we'll take a few walks, I hope, and I'll do yoga via Zoom.  I will squeeze in some more quilting on the Anything Goes quilt.   I'm making straight lines through the "logs" in both directions and then will do something simple for each block.  A couple I may quilt by hand as machine quilting seems a shame for those carefully hand appliqued by quilting friends around the world. 

 I hope to get back to my book, too.   The Postscript Murders, by Elly Griffiths, is a sequel to a book I read in 2019, The Stranger Diaries.  I love Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series, and this is different, yet just as good, featuring a Sikh detective and some amateur sleuths who are taking grave chances.  I would have read more yesterday, but my Kindle ran out of "juice."  Can't wait to read what happens next.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

who would have thought - barter system still at work with maple syrup - good idea to put it in pint jars and seal. I must admit I rarely get the real stuff because of the price.