Sunday, March 28, 2021

The satisfaction of small projects

It's been a gloomy weekend, just right for finishing a couple of smaller items.  First was a class sampler I designed for an applique class I taught years ago.  I made a similar one in black, white, and red that I turned into a tote bag for my sister Jacqueline.  This one, in '30s fabrics, has just been shuffled around owsince the class at least five years ago!  I thought I'd turn it into a pillow, but now a doorhanging seems like the perfect thing for spring.

I quilted it very simply, going around the main items, adding some veins to leaves, and embellishing with a few wavy lines across the basket.  I turned the border to the back for a "binding."  It will go on our door next weekend for Easter.  The hanging on the door now is really faded, so I have to remember to change my door quilts a little more frequently, even though the door faces north so never gets direct sunlight.  The storm door seems to reflect light anyway.

The next little quilt (17" square) is made of leftovers - from this year's Bonnie Hunter mystery and a rejected guild block of the month.  I may put it on the door or may just set it on a table in the living room sometime.  I do love this color combination - gray, pink, and blue - with lots of scrappy neutrals.

Both pieces are made with muslin backs and leftover batting.  How satisfying to finish these, though, after months of working on bigger projects!

No comments: