Friday, March 5, 2021

Hankie quilt #1

It's finished!  I still have plenty of Marj and Karen's hankies left along with some old embroidery.  I have already made a table runner, and now the little wallhanging is done, too.


I enjoyed working on this project, designed by Rhonda Cox Dort and organized in a Facebook group that my friend Paula told me about.  Sorry the picture is so washed out - someday I'll be able to take pictures of my quilts outside again, but when it's 7 degrees out, one does not want to venture forth!

The fabric is from a line called "Jane Austen at Home," and although brown isn't my favorite color, I had to buy a yard of the brown print named "Marianne," after a character in Sense and Sensibility.

One of the prints is a replica of Austen's handwriting, and I cut a piece out of a vintage embroidered table topper for the center of the Dresden Plate.  That's really one of my favorite quilt blocks.  So easy, so effective.

I plan to offer the wallhanging (36" x 36") to the Old Labor Hall for fund raising, but for now it hangs in our front hall where I can enjoy it for a little while.  I still have plenty more hankies and Austen repro fabric to use in future quilts and table runners.   

Since it's the beginning of a new month, I'm working on blocks of the month and then will start on finishing a larger UFO.  I probably have too many blocks of the month going, but they do eventually end up as complete quilts.  Here's a list:

  •  "Options" with Aby Dolinger
  •  Rainbow Scrap Challenge - two projects - Pop Star blocks and pineapples
  •  "Dear Jen" made with guild blocks of the month as well as those designed by Kingwell.  The guild blocks will end in May.
  • and starting soon - Harriet's Journey, using Jennifer Chiaverini's latest pattern book
I do like to keep busy!


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes I think taking photos outside at 7 degrees is a no!