Thursday, March 18, 2021

Blocks of the month

 

I've been working on instructions for the last two guild blocks of the month.  Buttercup, the block for April, was all made before Bonnie Hunter came out with her lovely Tulip Time pattern using very similar blocks.  Great minds think alike.

Stems can be added by piecing, applique or embroidery, but I left my block without stems.  I hope the guild members enjoy this block as they seem a bit wary about the very improvisational March block, Wonky Stars.  

Meanwhile, I decided to wrap up the guild blocks of the month in May. We hope the guild can resume meeting in person in September and each monthly program team can offer its own block of the month then.  While I've been doing this, I have organized a monthly lottery for anyone who wants to participate.  I hold a drawing every month, and people mail a 6" block to the winner.  Some months, we've had 20 blocks sent, which would make a nice table runner or topper.

The final block in May will be Friendship Star to promote the friendships we make in the guild.  Our group has grown from about 20 when we started in 2008(?) to almost 80.  We've even had some new members this year when we haven't been meeting in person.  The monthly teams have really helped people get to know each other in such a large group.

I've been making four blocks each month - the best one for the lottery and three for my Dear Jen quilt which is coming along slowly.  I hope to devote a little more energy to Dear Jen in the months ahead because some of Kingwell's blocks are pretty complex.


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes the tulip pattern has been out for a long time, I remember making one years and years ago - have a good day