Thursday, January 13, 2022

Austen Jubilee

 Quiltmaker magazine is offering a six part mystery based on Bonnie Hunter's "Addicted to Scraps" blocks.  The designer of the quilt is using red and white scraps, which is very pretty and a bit modern.  But I have a lot of "Jane Austen at Home" fabric, so I thought I'd use it up for a more old-fashioned look.  Here are my first blocks.


The block at the bottom left came out of my "orphan" box and I'm hoping I can work it into the quilt.  If not the front, then the back.  Naturally, as I was working on these blocks, I realized that the finished quilt is going to be fairly large.  Oops!  Do I have enough fabric?  I ordered a few more Austen fat quarters to see me through, and I'll slip in more scraps of cream here and there.  

The blocks weren't difficult, but they did take some time, especially the ones with all the nine patches.  Since the pattern comes out every other month, I should be able to keep up and stretch the work out a bit.  Although I usually avoid using brown in my quilts, it looks good with pink and it's good to get out of my comfort zone now and then.  

1 comment:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Bonnie Hunter’s patterns are great but do tend to have lots of pieces. This will be a fun sampler quilt! Such pretty fabrics you have chosen!