Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Hankies

Every time I look at my stack of old hankies, new ones seem to appear.  I had been saving some for a tutorial on crazy quilting with my Saturday sewing group.  But I discovered a lot more in various tubs and project boxes.  I used two to make a small table runner last week.  I added a hexagon cut from an old embroidered tablecloth.  Each block was surrounded by 1.25" strips of pink or beige fabric for a very feminine, spring-y table runner, now waiting patiently to be quilted and photographed.

What shall I do with the rest of the hankies?  I have used them in baby-sized quilts, purses, pillow tops, zipper bags, and more.   Knowing I like them, people give them to me, and I also bid on some in an online auction to benefit our beloved Old Labor Hall here in town.  I even have the book Hooked on Hankies and have played around with folding them in various shapes.  My fingers fumble a lot while folding.  I might manage a butterfly someday.  Today, though, I'll pack them away again until inspiration strikes.

Over the weekend, I read a super book - West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge - about two men driving a couple of giraffes cross country from New York to San Diego during the Great Depression.  I liked it so much, Paul read it, too, and enjoyed it as much as I did.  

I am working ahead on a couple of February projects, including the next step in the Unity quilt along and a swap with my online group.  We had a full day of snow yesterday and stayed cozily indoors again after several days of below zero weather.   Here are all the requisite parts to the next round.

Today I started putting these together and adding them to the center.  What a job!  There are a lot of points to fit and press together somehow.  I took a break to read part way through.  Hope to get the last rounds on tomorrow.  

No comments: