Saturday, January 1, 2022

Unity quilt

Happy New Year!  May 2022 be a good year for everyone.  2021 was a bit shaky due to Paul's health, including a long hospital stay, but he is doing fairly well right now.  My biggest hope for 2022 is to be able to get to Colorado in June to celebrate Mom's 100th birthday.  Fingers crossed!

I spent yesterday putting the center medallion of the Unity quilt (a Bonnie Hunter pattern) together.  I'm pleased with how it looks.  Here are the sections ready to sew together.  I like the way the dark blue chevrons swirl around the bright yellow ones.



I'm using a variety of low-volume backgrounds for a scrappy look, along with various dark and light blues.  The bright yellow will be a constant.  It went together easily due to Bonnie's suggestion to press seams open.  I hate doing that but managed to get most of the seams to nest OK.  I added a 1" border all around before putting it away until nearly February.  This project is a quilt along with members of my local guild.  Every month, we'll work on another set or sets of borders, and Joanne and I will figure out a schedule for the next steps later this month.

Today I'm going to make some Indonesian food for dinner.  We'll be celebrating my heritage to start the year.  While it's simmering, I'll clean up the sewing room a bit and start on a few face masks.  I have lost all but one in parking lots and other unknown places this past year.   The blue paper surgical ones don't fit my nose very well despite the metal nose part.  The shaped ones work better for me, and they're washable for reuse.  I do keep a box of the blue ones in the car and in the house, just in case.  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Glad Paul recovered earlier this year and hope he is soon back to tip top shape! Have a very good 2022!!