Sunday, January 9, 2022

Happiness is...

...a new bobbin cover!  After a week on the fritz, my Elna is working now that the seemingly inconsequential part has been replaced.  After vacuuming the inside of my machine in search of a teeny piece of plastic that may have fallen in, I got right to work this morning and didn't come up for air until noon.  I had cut various parts of blocks out, starting with the last two red pineapples, and then moving on to a couple of red houses, both for the rainbow scrappy challenge.


The house blocks will vary from month to month, in both size and type.  The paper pieced one finishes at 3.5" and came from an old book by Carol Doak.  The bigger block is 10" x 12" and came from A Scrapbook of Quilts by Carrie Nelson and Joanne Figueroa.  I'll be making some other house blocks each month until I feel like stopping.  Then I'll add some filler blocks, too.  I hope this prevents me from getting bored, as I often do when working on blocks of the month.

Next, I turned my attention to some of the many old hankies and a little embroidered tablecloth I have accumulated over the years.  I cut them to fit 6" hexagons which I then surrounded, log cabin style, with pinks and beige fabrics.   I have a little handwork to do and then I'll put these 8" blocks aside for now.  I'd like to use them eventually with the star block I made last year.  I'll think about how to set them and perhaps a few more blocks together before going forward.
Tomorrow, I'll get started on the serial mystery quilt that started in Quiltmaker, incorporating various Bonnie Hunter Addicted to Scraps blocks.  The editors are making theirs in red and white scraps, but I'm using a leftover "Jane Austen at Home" layer cake and cream scraps.   This will be an every-other-month project, beginning with four styles of blocks in various quantities. 


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

did you ever find the little piece of plastic in the machine?

Unknown said...

I really like it and I hope there is something new
កីឡាបាល់ទាត់