Sunday, January 10, 2021

Busy, quiet days

 It is typical weather for January - increasingly cold days with wind making it feel even colder.  Some sun has appeared after about two months of gray, so I have been hand sewing a bit more.  I appliqued some hearts for the guild's February block of the month and worked on a new quilt that features a bunch of hankies I won in an auction and from my friend Karen.  It's the 1914 Boehm House Vintage Quilt Along by Rhonda Dort.  Long ago, I received a pile of vintage hankies for Christmas and have been making things with them now and then.  Lots of times, I've forgotten I had them.  This quilt seemed like a good one to use with the "Jane at Home" fabrics I couldn't resist buying from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.  One of the fabrics is called Marianne, after the character in Sense and Sensibility. 

The hankie quilt finishes around 54" square and starts with eight 12" saw-toothed star blocks with vintage linen centers.  Yesterday I made a Dresden Plate for the center of the quilt using scraps from all the star blocks and another hankie in the center.  I don't like the way the fabric underneath shows through, though, so I will set it aside for a while until I figure out how to fix it.  I'm thinking about making a smaller piece anyway, because I'm not sure those vintage hankies will hold up well when washed.  This is how UFOs are born - too many choices!

The final clue - 9 pages long - for Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek mystery came out Friday, and I've started on the first part, which involves making 6" Ohio Star blocks.  These will be the center of a 12" block, and so far I'm liking the way they are turning out in my different colorway.   I'm not sure if I will make the suggested border which is string pieced.  More papers to remove!

I'm glad to have these involving projects right now considering how turbulent the US has become.  This week's destruction of our beautiful, historic Capitol building and the threatened hostage taking of our Congressmen were just plain scary.   As a young teen, I remember safely walking all over downtown DC with my friends, and I am still in awe whenever I visit my favorite city.  To think that the violence was encouraged by a manipulative, uncaring President is just too much to bear.   I worry that more is coming during the next weeks, and even our state Capitol police force is on high alert.   May we all stay safe and healthy during this tense time.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think more DC trouble is coming - this man and his followers are not going away - I have never cared for the man and it is very troubling how he was elected in the first place by such cult like people I really do not understand how so many have become brainwashed by things put out on line.

sounds like a good time to stay busy with quilts for sure I know I try to stay busy and try to not listen to the news much but I find I am constantly drawn back to find out if anything else is happening