Sunday, January 24, 2021

Thinking about WIPs

I have quite a few Works in Progress right now and several I'd like to get busy on.  I saw something recently about COVID procrastination, and maybe that is my problem right now.  Yesterday, I started machine quilting a little (48" square) quilt made with leftovers from Green Mountain Spring, based on the Bonnie Hunter mystery.  I'm mainly going in the ditch with some gridlines in various spots, so it's fairly mindless which is OK with me.  But I do have a few projects in the works that I'd like to get busy on after this:

1.  The Vintage Linens a/k/a Hankie quilt - I have made eight star blocks with hankie parts and the Dresden Plate center block.  But the latter needs a re-do in its center because I appliqued the lace askew.  I am thinking of substituting part of a blue hankie.  There are more blocks to this quilt along which I found on Facebook, but I'm not sure how many I will add.  I want to make sure the finished quilt is a wall hanging due to the fragility of the hankies.  I love the Jane Austen At Home fabric I'm using for this and will have plenty of it and more hankies left over for something else later this year.

2.  The Anything Goes quilt - I've been log cabining the 6" purple and cream swap blocks I got in 2020 so that the resulting quilt is throw sized.  They are ready to put together.  If I need a couple more blocks to bring it up to size, I'll make a few easy ones.

3. Many Scrappy Trips Around the World - I made 12 blocks for this guild swap, but need 24.  The blocks go quickly, but I will need to cut a few more 2.5" x 18" strips to finish.  They aren't due until May but I like to be on top of things.  This is a good snow day project.

4.  Dear Jen -  Now that I've looked through this Jen Kingwell pattern book, I'm rethinking it.  Each block's pattern uses templates when paper piecing or rotary cutting would be better.  So I'll have to make my own patterns - ugh!  I'm incorporating the guild blocks of the month so maybe I'll just continue in that vein, picking 6" blocks I like, and adding in  Kingwell blocks (the top strip below is one) as I go.  

The quilt involves 3 6" blocks in strips with alternating light and dark backgrounds.  Here are a few I've made so far.   Someone suggested I rename it Dear Marianne, and maybe I will!  I do need to get some more tea-dyed muslin, though.  Joann's doesn't seem to carry it any more.


5.   Harriet's Journey - Jennifer Chiaverini's latest sampler is also on my mind, but I haven't started any blocks for it.   A couple of people in my online group want to start a quilt along, so I may join in, but my progress is sure to be slow.  These 6" blocks seem more do-able than Dear Jen's.  

What an agenda!   And these five projects are only part of my list of UFOs, some of which have been languishing for a long time.  It's good to know I won't be running out of projects any time soon.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your going through projects too like I am - figuring out what to do next