Sunday, January 17, 2021

Miscellaneous blocks

 I have a pizza box in the closet of my sewing room that's marked "orphans."  These are extras from various projects or trial blocks.  The nine "Grassy Creek" blocks I have left will most likely go in there for a while along with their accompanying odd strippy sashing until I get the motivation to put them together somehow.  I am working on the final borders of "Grassy Creek" today using some other leftovers.  I really need to come up with a different name because I used completely different fabrics than the original.

I may have mentioned that I have organized a Block of the Month for our quilt guild this year.  We haven't met since last February, and I thought it would be a nice way to keep people engaged with the guild.  Every month, I post plans for a block, in various sizes, and there is an optional lottery people can enter.  The winner receives 6" blocks by all who want to mail them.  
It's been fun organizing this and seeing other people's blocks.  The December winner received 15 blocks so not a lot of people are entering the lottery, but I hope more are having fun.

In order to come up with directions, I've been staying at least a month ahead of the group, and I have already made the February and March blocks - heart and wonky stars.  Some people in the guild have enjoyed making blocks smaller than 6".  The 3" wonky stars blocks were a bit of a challenge.

At the same time, I've been planning to start Jen Kingwell's Dear Jen quilt as a year-long project.  Her quilt is a sampler incorporating strips of three similar 6" blocks.  I'm making a couple of extra guild BOM blocks each month to include along with Jen's to reflect my year.   I made the pink one to go along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but am now thinking that wonky stars would make a fun quilt all on their own.  Oh, no.  I must stay focused on the projects I've already started!

It snowed all day yesterday and it's still snowing this morning.  So it will be another day inside.   Snow days are sew days!  I will bake a loaf of bread and make Chinese food for dinner.  As long as the power stays on (it went off around us but not here yesterday), we are good to go.




1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I made some bread a couple days ago and put part of the two loaves in the freezer. If I don't freeze some of it we tend to eat it all right away. I'm not sure if I have any "orphan blocks anymore - I might have used them all up (I still do have a couple ufo's)