Friday, January 15, 2021

Taking it Easy with Grassy Creek

 I have been enjoying the Bonnie Hunter Grassy Creek mystery until this past Friday when the final clues and reveal came out.  The previous clues had been somewhat easy going, and I could do other things in between.  I even started another quilt.  This last clue was somewhat intimidating, but I decided I had to just take it one page at a time.  We ended up with 25 12" blocks and pieced sashing that creates a secondary block.  And directions for pieced borders which I expected, having fiddled with the ones on Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll.  

As planned, it measures about 94" x 94" which is too big for me to quilt on my own.  The design doesn't really work for quilting in sections or "as you go."  My quilt will be about 80" x 80" if I have the perseverance to do some pieced borders.  If not, it will still be about 72" x 72", a good throw size.  I took 9 blocks away for a 4 x 4 layout.  

Once I did that, I relaxed a bit - it is more manageable now, and I am really liking the way it's coming together.   Fitting the string sashing to the blocks is a bit tricky, but the stringiness gives them flexibility.  And I like the secondary churn dashes that result.  

I'll have quite a few pieces left over after I'm finished.  They may end up in the border or they may end up with the nine leftover blocks somehow.  I am looking forward to playing around with those.  I love the pink, purple and gray together.  Lots of scraps were used, which is a plus.  I still have a full bag of background strings I'd like to make blocks out of, and now I have a bunch of grays, too, to use in the RSC21 blocks.  This is all good for these gloomy days of mid-winter.


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I read that some are not happy with the last instructions for the quilt and do not like how it is turning out for some reason - that is why I normally wait for the mystery quilt to be done and save the clues before I decide to make it lol - how do you like it so far?