Friday, April 23, 2021

Kinderdijk memories

 

The weather has been brutal here with snow, sleet, rain, wind.  My tulips are most likely finished for the year since they are under 2-3" of snow.  At least the sun today should melt it, but it's far too windy to go walking even with drying roads.   The trees are budding so pollen is flying around.

Staying in to work on my Ricky Tims class project seems smart.  My sewing room is a mess because every color box is spread out as I choose pieces for my "gridified quilt."  I'm recalling our 2019 trip to Kinderdijk, the Netherlands, a place with 19 historic windmills that I had always wanted to visit.  Seeing all those windmills against the huge Dutch sky was so amazing.  I didn't even care when it started to rain as it always does in the Netherlands. 

In the class we each drafted a "map" of our planned quilt for Ricky to critique.  He gave some very good suggestions, and now we are at the choosing fabric stage.  He wants us to use traditional quilt blocks throughout our quilts, and I'm having fun, despite the mess.  Those half-rectangles were tricky but not as hard as I thought they'd be.

I need to replace the yellow tulip with a pink one and make two more pieced tulips as well as a paper-pieced distant windmill.  Maybe I'll use the yellow tulip on the border (if there is one), on the back, or as a potholder.  But I need to take breaks and step back now and then.  This is a very intense project, and I am looking forward to tomorrow's class for more insight.

No comments: