Wednesday, April 7, 2021

More blocks for the month

 I finished taking the paper out of this month's pineapple blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This month's color is blue, and I could do a whole bunch more blue blocks if they weren't so tedious!   If I get a chance later this month, I may make a few more.  At the rate I'm going with these 6" blocks, it will take years before I get a quilt I can actually sleep under!

I really like the pineapple piecing papers from the Fat Quarter Shop.  They are newsprint and stay nice and flat while you work with them.  I made some string blocks over the weekend using some 10" papers from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are tissue paper weight so they tear off easily, but I found them harder to work with.  They wrinkled when pressed, which I like to do after most longer seams.  

I made 8, cut them in half diagonally, sewed four triangles together, and ended up with four 14" squares which I added to my orphan box.  I don't know exactly where they'll end up, but I did use up a lot of neutrals in the process.

I also made my three 8" blocks for the "Options" quilt along with Aby Dolinger.   I like her clearly written, easy-to-follow patterns.  It will be a scrappy quilt, as so many of mine are.

I will turn some attention to the Dear Jen quilt in the next couple of days before the Harriet's Journey blocks of the month are announced on Saturday.  

I don't know how far I'll get with either quilt this month, though, because I've signed up for a six part class online with Ricky Tims - "Gridified Art Quilts."  I'm curious to learn more about taking a photo and turning it into an art quilt using traditional quilt blocks.  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun with your class! I liked the paper from the Fat Quarter shop too - I have some leftovers from the big quilt I made that will make a large table runner or something I'm not sure how many I have left