Saturday, April 3, 2021

RSC and more

 I keep plugging away at various quilts being made simultaneously, a little at a time.   The Dear Jen quilt designed by Jen Kingwell is very intense because her pattern is meant for hand piecing and I am mostly machine piecing.  You'd think that would be easier, and it is, but I convert all the templates for paper piecing or rotary cutting.  

Nonetheless, here are my most recent strips (6" x 18").  I've made 17 of these so far, so I have a long way to go to get a good-sized throw.  I may end up quilting it in sections, too.  I like combining traditional blocks with Kingwell's more modern ones, and that makes the process interesting.  

April's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color is blue which I have lots of, so I started by making two 8" Pop Star blocks designed by Jenny Doan.  I'm using various gray backgrounds for these.  Because constructing the blocks requires cutting off little corners, I'm also making some 3" blocks out of those corners.  They'll most likely go into the same quilt in some way - as cornerstones or borders or...?

The bright blue floral fabric came from a dress my mom sent me to cut up.  She had bought the fabric in Hawaii years ago and had a summer sheath made of it.  I managed to salvage quite a bit of fabric from it and like having a little bit of Mom in the quilt.

Now I'm working on four 6" blue scrappy pineapple blocks.  They'll take a bit more time, but I do like using the pre-printed papers from the Fat Quarter Shop.  The result is really sharp.  I'm mining my string basket for these blocks before I cut up anything in my blue box.




No comments: