Sunday, April 18, 2021

Take four

My class on "gridified art quilts" with Ricky Tims continues this weekend.  Yesterday's assignment was to start building the layout for our quilts.  I got out more graph paper and colored pencils to add some context to my theme blocks - a windmill and some tulips.  Sorry the picture is so light.  Some people in the class are adept at using "Paint" and other drawing software.  Others are just as Old School as me.

Looking back over my photos of Kinderdijk, the Netherlands, I noticed reeds growing on the banks of the canal.  I drew a paper piecing pattern for the reeds which I can reverse to make multiples.  I also drew a pattern for a smaller windmill in the distance.

Today I'll start adding a grid so I have a "roadmap" for the sky, fields, walkway, and canal.  So far, this measures 16.5" x 18.5" which could change because I might want a little more sky.  The Netherlands is very flat so there's always a lot of sky.   I'm itching to start using my design wall to add fabric for the sky, fields, and canal.  Today I'll spend a little time before class looking at my stash to see what I have that might work.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you are enjoying the class!